Friday, July 3, 2009

SPICY FARE:CHILLI PAKORA


Pakora is a fried snack, popular both in India and Pakistan. In Pakistan one can find hawkers selling variety of pakoras on footpaths, railway stations, shopping centres and other public places. Pakoras are an essential part of iftar(time to break the fast) during the holy month of Ramadan (Islamic month of fasting). I can not think of iftar without some hot, spicy pakoras. According to some survey in Pakistan, pakora was rated the most popular food item in the Ramadan. Many people also associate this heavenly snack with rain. But for me pakoras are always welcome any time of a year...:):):)

Pakoras can be of many types; onion pakora, palak (spinach) pakora, baigan (egg plant) pakora, potato pakora, chilli pakora etc...Yesterday, when I opened my fridge to get some milk to make tea for my husband, I saw jalapeno peppers lying in a corner of vegetable section waiting for me to turn it into a fiery treat!! I eagerly picked them and within no time these hotties were ready to tickle our taste buds...


CHILLI PAKORA

1 CUP CHICK PEA FLOUR (BESAN)
4-5 JALAPENO PEPPERS
1 TBSP GARLIC/GINGER PASTE
SALT TO TASTE
1/2 TSP RED CHILLI POWDER
1/2 TSP TURMERIC POWDER
1/2 TSP CUMIN POWDER
1/2 TSP CORIANDER POWDER
1/2 TSP CHAAT MASALA
1/2 TSP GARAM MASALA
1 TSP AJWAIN SEEDS
1 TSP CUMIN SEEDS
A HANDFUL OF CORIANDER LEAVES
A HANDFUL OF DILL LEAVES

STEPS OF PREPARATION

1.Wash and cut jalapeno peppers into half lengthwise and remove the seeds, do not remove the stalk.

2.Place all the ingredients except jalapeno in a bowl and add sufficient water to make a thick paste.

3.Heat oil in a deep-frying pan or wok, place a few jalapenos in the batter, coat evenly and drop one by one in the hot oil.

4.Take them out with a slotted spoon on a plate lined with paper towel and serve hot with chutney or dip of your choice.

5.I usually serve pakora with green chutney or tomato ketchup.



I am sending this recipe here , an event by Shanthi.




1 comment:

  1. I love ur recipe...but I think this blog copied ur image : on http://shantipavbhaji.blogspot.com/2011/03/paneer-chilli-pakoda.html

    This guy copied recipes from my blog as well.

    I have already filed a complaint at http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=lr_dmca&product=blogger

    I think u should do the same, so that copy cats like these are blocked.

    Cheers and Happy Blogging

    ReplyDelete

A very warm welcome, Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts here. Do visit again...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin