Tuesday, September 15, 2009

IRRESISTIBLE: FRUIT CHAAT



Fruits come in mind as a powerhouse of energy, they are rich in vitamin, colourful and can not be resisted. Every age group can enjoy fruits. They can be consumed in any form, juices, shakes, smoothies, fruit salad, in custard, thus there are unlimited ways of having them. I sometimes wonder how many different types of fruits are bestowed upon us by nature, each having unique appearance and taste.


For iftar, I make sure that we tend to eat healthy, nutritious to make up for the entire day so that ample energy is retained in the system to get us going. Fruit chaat is one way to enjoy the many fruits, all spiced up, giving them a whole new height and us the opportunity to entertain our tastebuds in each and every spoon.

Any combination of fruit can be used. I too experiment with different combos and apart from banana and apple which are standard ones, and available throughout year and around the globe, other fruits accompany them pretty well. May it be peach, grapes, papaya, melon, pineapple, pomegranate, pear or kiwi fruit, each one imparts its characteristic taste and enhances the flavour.

Talking about kiwi, I heard a lot about this fruit, but never got a chance to have it in Pakistan so the very first time I had it was last year only and now when we shop for fruits, kiwi instantly finds its way in my grocery cart.



INGREDIENTS


1 BANANA

1 APPLE

3 STRAWBERRIES

1 PEACH

5-7 GRAPES (BLACK AND GREEN)

1 KIWI

1 TSP OR TO TASTE CHAAT MASALA

1/2 TSP BLACK PEPPER POWDER

1 TBSP LEMON JUICE

2 TSP SUGAR


STEPS OF PREPARATIONS


1.Wash and cut each fruit one by one in small chunks, cut grapes into halves and always cut apple and banana at the end because they tend to change colour quickly.

2.Now add chaat masala, sugar, lemon juice and black pepper powder, toss and mix so that everything coats the fruits well.

3.Keep it in fridge and serve chilled.


This fruit chaat is also going to be a part of 2 ongoing events:

22 comments:

  1. Fruit chaat wow.....looks colorful and yum....healthy way to indulge with fruits....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats wonderful fruit chat.. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooo I just had this the other day at a friends house!
    Its a very popular thing to make for Iftaar during Ramadan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try adding some chopped up dates into the mix! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruit chaat is really irresistable! I can't control my mouth from drooling! Slurp! It's healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fruit chaat and make it frequently..I'll try adding lemon juice next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picture....I love fruit chaats...I even have it as dessert sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picture..really colourful :)A iftaar cannot pass without having a big fruit bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks all of u...
    @nabia: like ur idea of adding dates, will definitely try that, sounds healthy and nutritious

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow looks great and colorful and very perfect for Iftar.you have a nice blog with yummy recipes.Thank you so much for your lovely comment in my blog and very nice to see you in my place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks colorful and appetizing! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. healthy and a great snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fruit Chaat is truly irresistible.... looks so colorful and yumm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fruit chaat looks yumm. I remember my ammi also used to make a chaat with ripe guavas called Kachalu. Perfect for Iftaar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks ladies..
    @mona: kachalu is another tempting dish,we cant find guavas easily in states, waiting to go to Pak to try that out..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, I do not get ripe guaves here too, I am eagerly waiting to find some so that I can prepare it inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a delicious fruit chaat, very divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Shaista. Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog. It is a pleasure to discover yours and I look forward to exploring and visiting. Your fruit salad looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for Visiting my Blog Shaista. Fruit Salad looks Colorful !! Healthy too..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im so happy to have found this blog..its got some great treasures...

    ReplyDelete

A very warm welcome, Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts here. Do visit again...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin