A very prosperous and blessed Eid to all Muslims around the world. In US we are observing Ed today.
- Eid-ul-fitr marks the beginning of new Islamic month and the end of a month long fast.
- An alm for Ramadan (2 kilograms of a basic foodstuff like wheat, barley, dates, raisins, or its cash equivalents) is mandatory on every Muslim who is able to pay. It is typically collected at the mosque. This is distributed to needy local Muslims prior to the start of the Eid prayer. It can be given at any time during the month of Ramadan and is often given early, so the recipient can use it for Eid purchases.
- This day Muslims wear new clothes and observe special eid prayers.
- Start the day with a short breakfast of dates as sunnah (as a sign of end of fast).
- People visit friends and relatives and greet each other by saying "Eid Mubarak to you".
- Children gets "Eidi"(in form of money) from their elders.
- Like any other festival, food is an important part, special sweets like sheer khurma is also associated with Eid.