Tuesday, August 18, 2009

DINNER CONQUERED: ACHARI MURGH (PICKLISH CHICKEN)



When I was looking at my archives today, I realized that I havent posted a non-veg dish this month and the month is coming to a close end...... so, I quickly glanced through my drafts and decided to post this tangy, spicy, hot chicken dish which I made few days ago.
I grew up having achar gosht which my mom used to make with mutton in masala out of shan achar gosht mix, and it tastes so damn good. After coming to US, I made achari chicken in the same way. But, as a foodie, I always wanted to get rid of packet-aided-curries and was looking for the recipe of achari chicken for a long time. I did come across few achari chicken recipes, but did not get the desired results, the outcome was not even close to the one achieved by using the shan one. But, I did not lose hope until one day I found the recipe in one of the forums...:)
The recipe calls for pickle (achar) masala which can be taken out from any Indian or Pakistani pickle and to add an Xtra zing add lemon juice to it and there you go....This dish is for those who love spice, the tomatoes-yogurt based gravy with hot jalapeno filled with pickle masalas what makes this dish everyone's favourite. An advantage is that next time you are enjoying this dish knowing what you are eating, free of additives,preservatives and food colours..

I do not know the name of the person who posted the recipe, but wanted to thank he/she for providing me with a great substitute for the readymade masala mix....Awesome recipe!!!!



INGREDIENTS

1 LB CHICKEN
2 MEDIUM ONION (FINELY SLICED)
3 TBSP PICKLE MASALA (I USED CHILLI PICKLE MASALA)
1 1/2 TSP CUMIN POWDER
1 TBSP RED CHILLI POWDER
SALT TO TASTE
2 TOMATOES
1 CUP YOGURT
2 TSP GINGER/GARLIC PASTE
GARAM MASALA POWDER
6 JALAPENO PEPPERS
1 TBSP LEMON JUICE
1/2 CUP MUSTARD OIL

STEPS OF PREPARATION

1.Heat oil in a pot, add onion and fry till brown.

2.Add ginger/garlic paste, finely chopped tomaoes, chicken and salt and fry till all water dries up.

3.Add red chilli powder, cumin powder in yogurt, give it a whisk to break the lumps and put it in the chicken and cook on medium- low heat.

4.Meanwhile slit jalapeno peppers, remove seeds and fill it with achaar masala (mixed with lemon juice).

4.When chicken is almost done, add filled peppers, remaining star of the show that is, achaar masala, fry it till oil separates.

5.Before serving sprinkle garam masala powder and serve hot with tandoori roti and ENJOY!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and mouth watering.Indeed very good alternative for the Shaan masala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaan masala is something we don't get here that easily. I was introduced to it my sis-in-law and I love the achari chicken masala. Actually I like all the masalas she gave me. Since this recipe is a substitute for Shaan,I am gonna save it. I liked the part of using some real aachar masala in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely recipe..please do collect ur gifts from my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for liking the recipe Faiza, Bergamot and Shama..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious..heard so much abt this recipe but never tasted or made..urs is very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  6. @priti:oh it is, do give it a try and I bet u will love it too

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this looks tempting :D can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks a lot Anam for liking it..do try iot out and let me know.

    ReplyDelete

A very warm welcome, Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts here. Do visit again...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin