Thursday, June 25, 2009

SPICY KEEMA WITH SHIMLA MIRCH


I prepared this dish a few days ago for dinner. I had some minced meat sitting in my refrigerator and I planned to make kababs out of it but my laziness and craving for a spice packed food dragged me into making this. I wanted it to be different from what I made each time so I started looking for the perfect recipe to satisfy my taste buds. After searching quite a few blogs and sites, I gave up on the search as I was running out of time. My husband usually gets back from work around 6:30-7:00 and it was already 5:30 so I decided to get started as soon as possible. When I stepped into the kitchen I had no clue how the dish would turn out!

I started by putting usual stuffs into it then I realized that I have got some leftover homemade seasoning which I made a week ago to sprinkle over grilled chicken (yes we are a proud owner of a grill, bought it recently, thanks to hubby's interest in grilling). I ended up putting so many spices in poor keema that I had to pen down the whole recipe as I tend to forget things pretty quickly!!

This was enough for both of us. You can also make this as a side dish and those of you who donot consume beef can use chicken instead. I gottago as my li'l princess is up!!
Here goes the recipe. Enjoy and do not forget to drop a few lines that how do you find the recipe.


INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb MINCED MEAT(WASHED,DRAINED)

1/2 CUP GREEN BELL PEPPERS(CUT IN STRIPS)

1/2 MEDIUM ONION(SLICED)

11/2 TBSP OIL

2 tsp GARLIC/GINGER PASTE

1/2 TSP CUMIN POWDER

1 TSP RED CHILLI POWDER

1/2 TSP TURMERIC POWDER

1/2 TSP CORIANDER POWDER

1/2 TSP CHAT MASALA(I USED SHAN CHAT MASALA)

1/4 TSP BLACK PEPPER(FRESHLY GRINDED)

1/2 TSP SALT

2 BAYLEAVES

2 CINNAMON STICKS

1/2 TOMATO(CHOPPED FINELY)

2 TBSP YOGURT(OPTIONAL)

1 TBSP TOMATO KETCHUP

2 SMALL GREEN CHILLI(CHOPPED)

HANDFUL OF DILL LEAVES

HANDFUL OF DRIED FENUGREEK LEAVES(QASURI METHI)

HANDFUL OF CORIANDER LEAVES

GARAM MASALA(SPRINKLE IN THE END)

1 CUP WATER

1 TSP HOMEMADE SEASONING


TO MAKE SEASONING

1TBSP CORIANDER SEEDS

1 TBSP CUMIN SEEDS(SAFAID ZEERA)

1/2 TBSP MUSTARD SEEDS(RAI)

1/2 TBSP FENNEL SEEDS(SAUNF)

2 SMALL DRIED RED CHILLIES

1 TBSP GINGER POWDER(SONTH)

1/2 TSP CHAT MASALA

1/2 TSP GARAM MASALA

1/4 TSP SALT

1/4 TSP BLACK PEPPER POWDER



Dry roast coriander,cumin,mustard,fennel and red chillies in a dry pan over low heat and toast till fragrant.Remove from heat,cool add other ingredients and grind to a coarse powder.store in an airtight container(I used empty baby food bottle)and keep in a cool,dry place.Good to go for atleast a month.


STEPS OF PREPARATION

1.Heat oil in a pan,add cumin seeds when starts to sizzle add onion and green chillies.

2.Stir occassionally,when it turns light brown add keema.

3.Wait for keema to change its colour to light brown,add all spices (except seasoning),ginger garlic paste,fry for a couple of minutes.

4.Add bell peppers,water,tomato,ketchup,yogurt,methi leaves and cook till keema is done.

5.When oil separates,garnish with dill and coriander leaves,sprinkle seasoning,mix and switch off flame.

6.Serve hot with rice or roti.

1 comment:

  1. You have excellent non-veg dishes and just saw ur chicken achari and that is there since long in my must to do list,will see ur recipe next when i get chicken

    ReplyDelete

A very warm welcome, Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts here. Do visit again...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin