Saturday, June 27, 2009

ARHAR OR TOOR DAAL





"Will you make toor daal for me today?" asked my hubby one fine afternoon, when we were in a grocery store to get some basic pantry items.


"Sure,why not", I replied back ... but actually had no clue about toor daal.. ( even tried to recall the names of daals, I happened to eat so far ), but after having a glance at the packet he was carrying in his hand, I soon found out that the daal he was talking about was actually arhar daal ( name commonly used in Pakistani households)


I love having variety of daals, with roti or rice or just as it is.For making toor daal I usually follow my mom's simple recipe.



This recipe is my entry to the first ever event I am going to take part...Yes, you guessed it right, I am sending this to apu who is hosting :"MY LEGUME LOVE AFFAIR TWELFTH HELPING" originally started by Susan here.





INGREDIENTS

HALF CUP TOOR DAAL
SALT TO TASTE
1/4 TSP RED CHILLI POWDER
1/4 TSP TURMERIC POWDER
1 TSP GARLIC PASTE

FOR TEMPERING

2 TBSP OIL
HALF MEDIUM ONION ( CHOPPED COARSELY )
1TSP CUMIN SEEDS
2 GREEN CHILLI

STEPS OF PREPARATION

1.Wash daal thoroughly with water three times and then place it in a pressure cooker.

2.Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garlic paste and enough water to cover the daal.

3.Place the lid of cooker and wait for three whistles, once done keep aside.

4.Heat oil in a pan, add all the ingredients for tempering and fry till onion turns light golden brown.

5.Immediately pour over daal, stir and serve hot.




I am also sending it to Shanthi who is hosting lovely winter recipes

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shaista, i made you green peas pulav and toor dal yesterday and it came out toooo good, we all loved it, thanks for sharing such simple and delicious recipes. I have blogged the same on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

A very warm welcome, Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts here. Do visit again...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin