Monday, July 13, 2009

INSPIRATIONAL DELICACY: MUTTON COOKED WITH SPINACH AND FENUGREEK






I first tasted pancakes on my way back from NJ at detroit metro airport, a year and a half back. I instantly fell in love with these fluffy, round delights. Whenever, the commercial of pancake is aired, I start craving for it. It has been a couple of months since we had pancake so, we decided to go for a breakfast this saturday. Unfortunately, when we reached our nearest IHOP, the restaurant was full with people, it was already 10:30 and the wait time was about 45 minutes. My husband had to go somewhere at 11:00, so we settled for some homemade dal paratha (luckily I had some left over dal in my refrigerator to quickly roll out a paratha).
We wanted to give it another try on following sunday and thanks to our lucky stars, we were seated in less than 20 minutes. Plain buttermilk pancakes is my fav one, but I always wanted to try other flavours too, for a change. After going through menu several times, I ordered strawberry-banana pancake. Well, after having it what can I say, if you love pancakes than its worth trying....
Lets get back to cooking now, I made lamb with spinach and fenugreek yesterday. The recipe is taken from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook, a reknowned Indian author. The only change I made is that I added turmeric powder and fenugreek leaves. This dish can also be made with beef.
INGREDIENTS
1/2 CUP OIL
1/4 TSP BLACK PEPPERCORNS
6-7 CLOVES
2 CINNAMON STICKS
2 BAY LEAVES
6 CARDAMOM PODS
1 MEDIUM ONION ( FINELY CHOPPED)
6-8 CLOVES GARLIC (PEELED, FINELY CHOPPED)
1 INCH GINGER (FRESHLY GRATED)
2 TSP CUMIN POWDER
2 TSP CORIANDER POWDER
1 TSP RED CHILLI POWDER
SALT TO TASTE (I USED 1 1/2 TSP)
1/2 CUP YOGURT, WELL BEATEN
1/4 TSP GARAM MASALA
HALF BUNCH SPINACH (COARSELY CHOPPED
HALF BUNCH FENUGREEK LEAVES (COARSELY CHOPPED)
STEPS OF PREPARATION
1.Heat oil in a large pot, when hot, put in pepper corns, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, Stir for a few seconds.
2.Add onion, garlic and ginger, stir and fry until onion develop brown specks.
3.Now add the meat, cumin, coriander, turmeric , red chilli powder and 1 tsp salt.Fry for a minute.
4.Add 1 Tbsp of yogurt, stir and fry for a minute. Add another Tbsp of yogurt, stir and fry for another minute. Keep doing this until all the yogurt has been incorporated and meat has a brownish look.
5.Add spinach, fenugreek leaves and remaining salt and stir to mix. Keep stirring till spinach and fenugreek wilts completely.
6.Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour or until the meat is done.
7.When it is done, sprinkle garamm masala and the dish is ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A very warm welcome, Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts here. Do visit again...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin